Renovation projects often involve considerable risk and money. It’s imperative that you hire the right contractor for the job. Some renovation services in Ontario focus only on one type of work. For instance, you could find a contractor who specializes in kitchen renovation alone. Look for broad expertise as the first step. Names like general contractor YHIT have been around for years and can help renovate your entire home. Here are some key things to consider before you select a company for the job.
Prepping for renovation
Before you look for contractors, here are some key things you need to prep as a client –
- Determine the work involved. What are your end goals? What are the things you want to change? Do you want to change your entire home? Or are you looking for minor fixes? Once you know the basics, it’s easier to sort options.
- Check with the local municipal building inspection department to know if you are allowed to start the work. Some renovations have inherent risks and may not be allowed. The contractor could help you with that, but unless they say so, it’s not your responsibility.
The actual process
- Ask around. If you know any neighbor or friend who has worked with a general contractor in Ontario, ask for names. Remember that references are always handy in comparing and sorting options. You can also rely on Google to find local names in your area.
- Watch the quotes. Once the selected company has checked the basic details, they will share an estimate. Consider asking for a separate labor quote along with a detailed quote that includes the cost of materials in other things. You can avoid hidden charges efficiently.
- Get a timeline for the job. If you have seen renovation shows on the internet or TV, you know that things may not move as per plans. It’s best to be practical as you talk to the contractor. For instance, there are services that would rather work on weekends and finish the work on priority.
Finally, check the key details, like license number and insurance. Make sure that the contractor is insured because renovation jobs are risky in many ways. Ask the company how long they have been working in Ontario and if they have done business under a different brand name in the past. Lastly, do enquire how much they need in down payment to start the work.